That's Life...

April 7, 2009

Despite enduring some of the physical symptoms of PMDD, I was excited about reporting to work today. I recently wrote a grammar guide at my supervisor's request for the students at the writing center where I work, and today was the day I was to receive feedback on the project. If all goes well, it could be published by this fall--my first published work.

I felt a great sense of relief as I walked into my supervisor's office with the finished copy of the guide in hand. The 45-page booklet had taken about two months to write and format, and I had delayed working on my novel to complete it. With the project finished, I could finally begin hammering out the final chapters on my fiction manuscript. However, my relief in this regard was short-lived. My supervisor and the center's director loved the guide so much that they are commissioning my skills for another guide--this time, one with a football theme. And it has to be finished by the end of May. Oy. Now I'm scrambling to finish my novel, because I refuse to put it off for another project. I guess I shouldn't complain; after all, I'm actually managing to get things done and being recognized for my work.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying my new blogging venture. I had thought about starting a personal blog for months, but put it off because I was unsure what to write about. I considered everything from writing book reviews to reviewing local restaurants. I couldn't think of anything that I could sustain over a significant period of time. Then I thought about my life: I'm a writer trying to break into the publishing scene while emotionally supporting a husband in the U.S. Navy, trying for a baby, and occasionally battling depression. Before the end of the year, we will move to one of five different naval bases, each one at least a thousand miles away from our families. If that alone can't compel me to bare my soul, I should probably give up writing for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Comments are moderated, so they may not appear right away.