Old Ends and New Beginnings

January 1, 2010

Well, friends, my long pregnancy is finally drawing to a close. The official word is that I can go into labor at any time now. I feel it, too.

I'd love to say that it seems like only yesterday I was posting the results of my pregnancy test on this blog, but that wouldn't be accurate at all. It feels like eons. So much has happened in the past year...like two years crammed into one. And life doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon. Such is life in the military.

But today marks the beginning of a new year, and I'm looking forward to finally holding my son in my arms. Life may still be hectic, but at least it will be different, and I'll have discovered a new love: a mother's love. Only in the past few weeks have I tasted the power of this new feeling...lying awake at night imagining my baby suckling at my breast, the smell of his new skin, his soft head against my shoulder. And then all the fears and worries: SIDS, falling, running out into the street, choking, getting beat up at school, falling in love too young...the scenarios play in my head like a bad Lifetime movie. Sometimes I just have to shut it out...and believe that everything will work out just fine.

Wishing all of you a beautiful new beginning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!!! Hope the birth goes well and your little boy comes out perfect. You're going to be a great mum!! :)

--Konnor

April said...

Thanks! I hope so!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Comments are moderated, so they may not appear right away.